Friday, February 10, 2006

One last try at eternal glory.

So this weekend I'm headed out to scenic galesburg illinois in my last bid to win the annual indoor tournament hosted there by Knox college. I've been two other times and managed to lose in the finals each time, if memory serves correctly. This year the format is especially sweet as we don't have a game between 530 tomorrow evening and sunday at noon, possibly later. This means drinking and good times hopefully.

Tonight I'm headed up to the north side to watch the final 4 episodes of arrested development. They are being aired opposite the opening ceremonies of the winter olympics in Turin (a place I don't believe I'd heard of before the present games) which is what normal god-fearing americans will be watching I suppose. Its hard to believe that after this the show will probably be gone forever. There are rumors that showtime might pick it up but I am giving it up for dead tonight. I just hope it goes out in a manner befitting to its life: with crude wonderful character-driven humor and the best props ever to grace the small screen; (stair car, lincoln car, segway, banana stand, and of course the corn-baller) while America watches beret bedecked corporate spokesman wannabes parade around and preach to us about the eternal purity of sport, at least until the next judging scandal. Normally I'm not this bitter towards our olympic heroes, but I'm not feeling very accomodating at the moment.

Been enjoying netflix recently. Wathced "Dial M for Murder" and "The Big Sleep." M was the better movie overall, but TBS had some great dialogue interspersed throughout the most confusing plot I've encountered in recent history. Also watched "Junior Bonner" recently which is a Steve McQueen rodeo flick, Jason has recently been trumpeting the idea that we should all ask ourselves "WWSMD?" or What Would Steve McQueen Do when confronted with life's little obstacles. Its certainly not the worst of philosophies.

Have also started reading "Middlemarch" by George Eliot. I've enjoyed it so far and rather than read in my standard pedal to the metal fashion, I'm actually taking it slow and tackling it in 10-15 page increments, we'll see how that turns out. Gave platelets yesterday and will leave here shortly to get my comped burger and fries that comes with my particular species of do-gooderism. I can really see myself developing a pavlovian response to needles in association with good cheeseburgers. Oddly, when all is said and done, that will probably be counted among my more normal psychological quirks, or at least this readership can hope so, it will certainly keep things interesting.

WHAT'S JOE SAYING NOW?
Yesterday I was telling eric, jason and colin's roommate, about the words oojah and oojamaflip, when he asked me if I knew the word onanism. Apparently it comes from a man named Onan in the bible who displeased God. Should read genesis 38:6-10 if you want his story. Sounds like in life he really got the short end of the stick, and then in death his legacy is less than ideal. Got to love that old testament god. Anyway, at Jimmy's Eric and I indulged our dark sides with many off-colour jokes on this theme, which led to other off-colour jokes, none of them fit for a family website. Some other fun words I came across randomly.

termagant: A violent, overbearing, turbulent, brawling, quarrelsome woman; a virago, shrew, vixen. (Now the ordinary sense.) though its first definition in the OED is also interesting: christians accused muslims of worshipping a deity called Termagant who was supposed to be evil.

teratology: Biol. The study of monstrosities or abnormal formations in animals or plants. Was more amusing in webster's where they left it solely as the study of monsters but whatever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turin does have a fairly well known bit of linen that is supposedly the burial shroud of that poor fellow from Nazareth who was crucified some 2000 years ago...

personally i prefer my mysterious religious images in the form of grilled cheese sandwiches, but what can you do.

2/11/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home