Monday, January 16, 2006

MLK day

In a bitter irony today I was walking with rachael from our south shore apartment to Hyde Park when we were accosted from across 67th street by some teenage boys who erroneously assumed that our relationship was more intimate than it is, and informed me that I should stay with my own kind. The irony of course being that they had the day off from school to honor a man who said

I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama...will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.


It should be noted this is the first time I've been made to feel uncomfortable since living where I presently do. Incidentally the NYT has a very good Op-Ed today on the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. by Taylor Branch.

1 Comments:

Blogger ea said...

That's just really sad and depressing.

1/17/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home