Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"Someone else's fingerprints are all over this science fair project!" Joe breathlessly shouted over the bored children at the award ceremony.

So another spam post on the comments (how few and far between are genuine comments, however as good writing no doubt stirs up interesting discourse, perhaps I am to blame) which remarked that my blog was "inquisitive" and that I should check out his on penny investments. Jerk doesn't seem to know that I don't have pennies to invest or that inquisitive is probably the wrong adjective to use in describing this blog. Half-thought out almost-licentious story telling is closer to the truth I'd say.

Last night listened to the album "Courier" by Richard Schindell which I've grown quite fond of since getting it a month ago. This morning I went and helped judge the 3-4 grade science fair at the school where Rob Walsh is a teacher. Was sort of fun getting the kids to explain their projects which varied from the quite lame to a few that they actually got into. My favorite investigated the relative clarity of fingerprints on cold versus room temperature glasses.

On the job searching front some decent news. Apparently the US government or some section thereof is slightly intrigued at the prospect of hiring me so I've got to fax my transcripts to the man or something. Also got an interview type thing monday for various non-academic lab positions in the chicago area.

Bumped into Peggy on my ingress of the library and she informed me that the chinese new year is sunday. Apparently this is a big deal in china as I almost reported in yesterday's post. (something like 120 million people travel that weekend in china, most apparently in so-crowded-its-difficult-to-reach-the-bathroom trains, hence a direct effect on adult diaper sales. Now that's love of family.) She then informed me that its the year of the dog. To which I happily exclaimed, "I'm a dog!" (this amused an elderly woman standing behind peggy) But then peggy warned me that being a dog isn't necessarily lucky. I don't know what that's about, once every 12 years its my year and its supposed to bring me bad luck? What's up with that. Though I have a certain abstract cultural respect for the idea that someone's "special" year isn't necessarily a good thing. Oh well, I'm not surprised, its just my luck that I'd happen to be born in a year that brings bad luck to you later in life. How is that for the prophecy shaping future events for you? Peggy also clued me in to this senegalese hip-hop group that will be performing at the hothouse on friday. In that moment I realized that I love hip-hop groups from senegal so I may just go to that.

Two real posts in as many days, I hope I don't spoil y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home