Monday, February 13, 2006

Eternal Glory is finally mine

So we won the tournament this past weekend, but before we get to that I would like to mention something regarding george's comment on the previous post. He mentioned the virgin mary grilled cheese sandwich, which is funny because last tuesday I was talking about the very same sandwich with lyrica and jason. Its just funny to me that it came up twice, and now I feel somewhat stupid for not connecting Turin with its famous shroud, a bit of an oversight on my part.

Friday night watched the concluding 4 episodes to AD with eric, chuck, chuck's sister, and rick. Very enjoyable episodes, I'm glad they tied everything together at the end so that you're left with a feeling of satisfaction at the conclusion. Eric even made some choclate frozen bananas for us that were quite good. Saturday morning we left for Knox and halfway there we got onto a patch of slick highway. Across the lanes we saw an accident where a SUV had probably slid into the rear left trailer wheels of a semi and whose front half was destroyed, the semi's trailer was across most of the two lanes and traffic was stopped. As we were driving by the car 50 yards ahead of us went into an uncontrolled spin out that took about 8 seconds and wound up facing the road from the edge, as we passed a couple of seconds later we noticed the guy still had his cellphone pressed to his ear. We passed some other cars that were off the highway, all in the other lanes, and we came upon an inverted white van in the median. Jake did a good job driving us through it, was a tense 10 minutes. We were going something like 20 mph through most of it.

Eventually we made it and yes we did win the knox tournament and had some very closely contested games along the way. WE played under the names Oojah and Oojamaflip. We took 10 people and went 2-2 on saturday. Losing to knox 8-11 and knox alums 11-12 after being up 11-9 on the alums before we lost it down the stretch. The next day we beat meddling kids 13-12 after being up 10-6 and 12-10 I believe, this was a particularly satisfying win as they beat us something like 4 times last summer. We then beat knox 11-6 and then knox alums 13-12 in the final. Was a bit of a tough tournament physically because we only had 1 female sub and 2 male subs. So down the stretch I think fatigue played a big part in allowing the other teams back into the game. Its kind of bizarre playing indoors since it skews the game heavily in favor of the offense. I played fairly well, had 2 really bad plays near the end of the knox alum and meddling kids game but overall my play was about all I could hope for, given my fitness and level of practice right now. This was only the second non-hat tournament (I believe I had something like a 18 game winning streak in hat games) that I've won, the other being a nasty 9s tourney at MSU. I know at least one person on the team for whom it was their first tournament win ever. Its funny how concentrated tournament wins are in ultimate. I'd venture a guess that something like 33% or more of people who have played regularly in college have never won a tournament of any kind. And that might be a lot higher. Was also the first tournament since about my freshman year that I played entirely sans ankle brace. Its nice to have two fully functional ankles to play on. So yeah, pretty fun weekend, even had some pretty good mexican food sat. night and a great breakfast sun. morning.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joseph, Joseph, if I didn't know better I would think that you were downplaying our performance at the Tournament of Fools at Miami of Ohio. I realize that it was our very first tournament, but how can you forget that we won the B pool- culminating with that epic victory over Central Ohio Technical College in the infamous "blue disc" game on the trapezoidal field. Surely you didn't mean to exclude that from you list of tournament victories.

2/19/2006  
Blogger Joe Little said...

But we didn't win the tournament right? We won the B-division after being knocked out of the top-8. Or am I really off base here.

2/19/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so technically we didn't "win" the "tournament", but let's not bicker and argue about who killed who. My point was more that our performance at that tournament deserves to be mentioned among our finest hours as an ultimate team, right up there with our defeat of Arkansas at Fallout and Tazo forgetting to put the car in park when he called a Chinese fire drill. At any rate, I now fear that in my lighthearted attempt to qualify your post, I have turned into Jayadev. Please return to your regularly scheduled posting, and try not to take what I say too seriously. Peace.

2/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home