Friday, December 16, 2005

I suppose I can receive a kiss and tell...

So this past monday, I embarked to the bus stop on my way to watch the new Narnia movie with bryan and akira, which was enjoyable but not nearly as good as the LOTR. On my way I chanced upon some free books outside of Powell's and picked up a copy of Norton's Anthology of American Short Fiction. Some time later I found myself headed downtown on Bus no. 6. There I asked the elderly woman next to me what the last stop was on Michigan before the 6 turned away from the lake. She replied with words that I failed to comprehend, but after doing so she noticed the book on my lap and asked if I was a writer. I confessed that I do dabble a bit with the writing but no, as of now no one pays me to write. She then expressed curiousity in the book itself and asked to leaf through it, a request I could do no other than acquiesce to. She was greatly interested in it and asked if she could buy it from me. I then had one of my passing bouts, thankfully short, of magnanimity and informed her that she could have it at the same price I did, namely for free. She was delighted to hear this and took down an address where she could send me a christmas card, and then proceeded to give me a light peck upon the cheek. We sat in silence for some time and then she informed me that she liked to write, had even written upon the state of sex for women after menopause, to which I had no response. She then grew a little sullen and confidentially asked me, "Joe, is the reason that you gave me the book because you don't know how to read?" This took me quite aback and I replied that no, I could in fact read, mumbling something under my breath to the effect of, "Actually that's why I picked it up in the first place." She got off soon after and I may be one card the richer come Christmas morning. Ahhh the 6. Its good to be back in Chicago.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

joe, that is a very funny tale. welcome back to chicago! oh i sure do miss the 6.

12/16/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home