Monday, June 13, 2005

Spivek revisited, mathematicians please pardon the spelling

So I was prompted to finally write this new entry after visiting cnn.com and seeing something that made me laugh out loud, it was the headline "Paris Hilton to retire in two years" I think as far as commentary goes, this falls under the too easy heading.

So recent news, recent news...walking schtick (sans beer but hopefully this will be amended in the future) was introduced here last week and I think was received most excellently. My team came from down 18-21 to win 25-21. Was pretty sweet. On saturday we had a color party where people living in different buildings came as one color and brought a beverage in that color. I went as yellow and brought beer and had some lemon rum kept in reserve in case things got nuts. Was a lot of fun, danced quite a bit, finally demonstrated the blue-footed boobie dance to narrow acclaim and was not the guy still passed out on the couch at noon the next day from way too much whiskey. I think the lesson there is when you see someone drinking and dancing with a bottle of whiskey in hand and you see the same thing more than 30 minutes later, intervention may be good. I was hoping to come in a yellow tracksuit/jumpsuit straight out of Bruce Lee's unfinished opus Game of Death, or more recently displayed by Uma Thurman in the movie where she tries to kill someone named william

sorry got to save this draft and return, insane rain storm at moment.

but instead bought a plain yellow t-shirt, brought a permanent sharpie, and let people draw yellow things on me. Said a runner from McCallister by way of Somalia drew a yellow eyeless pig on the front, which a certain Calculus book written by Spivek is dedicated to. I should note its donated to yellow pig, and not the yellow pig that would someday be drawn on my shirt. Other things drawn included a rather fancy sun, a banana (nonphallic in nature), some lyrics about the banana, some XOXOs, and the words mellow yellow with what looks like an arrow drawn to my ass. I'm not sure what amy intended with that. In the interests however, of being able to wear the shirt in public I think I will amend that entry to the mellow yellow brick road and instead of an arrow have cobblestone road leading in the general direction of my buttocks. Ok enough on that topic.

While my night was definitely fun someone else here who goes by the name of Charlie had an interesting one as well. Apparently he woke up on the living room floor of some woman's apartment he didn't know. After gathering himself into an erect posture he went to the kitchen and said the following to the two people there, "I don't want to be rude, but can you tell me where I am." He has a touch of the dry wit, which is my brand of humor so we've hit it off well.

Other news, other news.

In the natural world I've seen a jack-in-the-pulpit which is not a jackrabbit in church. But rather a very odd looking plant. Since I can't describe hopefully the following address works
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H46.htm
(Someday I'll have to learn how to actually use the internet and such and hyperlink that)
also today while working in the plots we were constantly surrounded by about 100 dragonflies that were hovering around at all times. They've always been one of my favorite insect types and it was cool to see them.

in culinary news I had a potsticker cookoff with anna, the young woman who is both a groundfloor jobber and an honoray member of the dinner club for making sushi rolls for our car ride to madison, that was awesome. We both fared well, the audience decided they were a little too different to choose which was best. My own sense is that her's were consistently better but the ones I had done well were their equal and depending on the taster could be considered tastier. Was a lot of fun to cook with someone again, especially as we had an improntu dance party while cleaning afterwards. Went and saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith following that, was pretty good. Maybe not theater good, but entertaining. Then we came back and had strawberry rhubarb pie and vanilla-choclate ice cream. The pie was very commendable. Commendable incidentally is a funny word to me, because it praises something by saying that it is worthy of praise. A sort of self-criticism on praise-giving if you will. Anyway I saw some weird things in the remains after it had melted. First I saw lucifer descending into hell. However, upon reversing the plate 180 degrees I instead saw the back of a woman with the wind in her hair, gazing across a white sand beach into a magnificent sunset. A much better image, tainted only by the fact that the woman had quite the goiter problem. So let this be a lesson to use more iodine people.

In health news I've started to look into getting health insurance and am not very pleased with the initial, very perfunctory findings. Anyone have suggestions of how to go about this?

Well that's it for now, hope all are safe, sound, and had fun at any poultry festival they may have attended over the weekend. Cheerio.

3 Comments:

Blogger trophywife said...

I dunno what kind of health insurance you're looking for but you can get "catastrophy" type insurance where you have something like a $5000 deductible but everything after that is free. So not good for ordinary doctor stuff but you strike me (or have struck me, i guess) as not a sickly type so that may not be important. But if a tree falls on you in the woods you won't have to be in debt for the next ten years. You can probably get a lower deductible but it'll cost more - i think this one is like $90 a month. HMOs are also super-cheap - my sister had the poor person rate and it was $60 a month and doctor's visits were either free or $5 but i dunno what's up there by you.
and in other news we got our towels back (thanks) and kevin just dropped in for a few nights on the old floor so that was fun... i hope you come to sandblast (come to sandblast!) it would be very awesome to see you before i go to school (i can't come to blaine...)
Lil' Lanski

6/15/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

6/15/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spivak :)

It's one hog of an equation ...

6/28/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home