Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Mail call and my resolution of the terrible omens I saw

So yesterday I received a postcard from LH up in Belfast Maine. I must say that Belfast looks very much like the country from which it acquired its name, or at least its tourism board may want you to think that. From what I could see in 4 color pictures, Belfast has a comely green knoll that overlooks the sail-boat-filled waters of the Atlantic and abuts its historic red brick commercial district. Man they should pay me for this stuff. I always feel good when I get tangible evidence that someone thinks I'm at least worth the price of postage, I suppose I'm somewhat shallow in that regard, or at least the little things in life make me happy. If anyone else would like to send me any letters or physical objects my address is Cedar Creek Natural History Area 2660 fawn lake dr. bethel MN 55005, and there's no reason that physical objects shouldn't include your lovely selves. Stop by any time over the summer, and please note to those of you who might take a road trip from Chicago to see the Corn Palace in beautiful Mitchell, SD; that bethel would only be about a 2.5 hr side trip so the least you could do is come on by. (Note: I used a semi-colon above, because I got winded rereading that last sentence and it makes me look oh so sophisticated to the ignorant, and only at the expense of looking like an idiot to those who know when and how to use the ; . I guess I'll take that trade)

In behavioral science news I've noticed an interesting phenonmenon. I haven't seen a lot of women in the past four weeks. Sure I go to town occasionally and see them strolling about and such, but generally day in and day out I work and interact only with those who in no way could be mistaken for members of the fairer sex. Normally I am, as I suppose most men are, somewhat furtive in my appreciation of the opposite sex when I come upon them in my daily affairs. Now not so much, I tend to stare much more openly at strange women. Also as a corrolary to this effect, is the fact that of every woman I see motoring along the road at 50-60 mphs while I'm running, I think about 2/3 are attractive from what I can make out through the windshield of their pickup truck. Now not to be cruel, but this percentage just can't be right unless I've stumbled into some fairy tale land where all the women who drive pickup trucks are beautiful. My money though is on, as always, me being wrong.

Lately I've been listening and watching a fair amount of publicly supported media. Yesterday I happened to find at the far end of the dial a public radio station that plays music all day without annoying commercials, and the music is for the most part pretty good, although at times, seemingly random. For instance, when my alarm went off this morning the radio station was playing a song in french, which at 600 am sounded great. three hours later they played a cajun/acadian? song about getting dressed. It sounded like it was also in french but I really couldn't tell except I heard the word for pants, culotte. Later in the day a band called British Sea Power got air time. Its all very confusing to me. But in general, npr and public radio, good stuff. No way I'm giving them money though, or at least my money.

I think that Eric supplied me with the key piece of the puzzle to my omens, for those who don't read the commentary, he mentioned that snakes also are symbolic of knowledge. My new interpretation is that the death of knowledge, or the end of learning leads to war or conflict. I don't know what to do now, my life has changed. I suddenly feel good that we have someone with a postgraduate degree in the white house. Ok, that was a cheap shot. In anti-me news it turns out I'm poor, don't floss as much as I should, am in worse shape then our 50+ year commander-in-chief, and could not ever get elected president.

Finally, I recently received an email that indicates I am now known as "dearest" joe little in some social circles. I don't know how to take that exactly, but its certainly not the first in a long list of epithets. I'm sure many of you are already aware of this but I went to high school with another joe little who was slightly different from me. This led to me being known as little JL, smart JL, clean JL, and so on and so forth. I also had the nickname Thunder in high school for no reason whatsoever except my best friend started calling me that. All this is to say that I'm very flattered by the new version and I hope to see all of you who hold me in such regard very soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home