Sunday, June 05, 2005

The mad city

So friday after work keith, anna, and myself departed minnesota for the green fields of madison. We arrived about the same time as jason, colin, and john did closely followed by josh, jesus, and biz. Several beers, two bottles of very good strawberry wine later, and after the inception of jobber juice jesus was baptized by john in a fountain.

In the actual tournament we tied our first game. won our second and third. lost to memorial high school in the fourth. I was pretty impressed by them. Although I'll never be able to live down the fact that I lost to a high school team. Athletically we were probably about equal, they were perhaps a little better, but i'm holding onto my dignity by assuming they've been practicing for months. Playing as and with the Jobbers at the first tournament was fun. I feel like different people on the team have slightly different expectations but it should work itself out in time, hopefully. I played alright, all my hucks were slightly off but still had a pretty good percentage caught by very able receivers. I thought my defense was pretty good when I had wind but a lot of the basics, like backhands or not throwing 20 ft push passes and high release forehands seem to have been lost.

that evening after the great dane, try the crop circle wheat, and good byes to everyone but especially yujuan who I may not see again unless she happens to visit Chicago the same time I'm there in the next year we retired to keith's apartment. There we proceeded to someone's 21st birthday party. Was good, everyone seemed nice, but I was pretty beat from playing 5 games and drinking the night before. Made an early night of it and saw the movie kinsey back at keith's. Interesting movie.

Upon my successful return there were seven new people working here, one of which was Ross. I walked into the kitchen and knew within 5 seconds he was from louisiana. The first clue was the accent, the second was the louisiana tech shirt, and the third was that he was attentively stirring a roux in a pan, an obvious initial step towards gumbo production. The gumbo was good, on monday spent half an hour finding a plot of trees where we needed to pull tags and when we got there realized there was no way we could do it as is. So we hiked back 15 minutes to the car to aquire DEET and after copious spraying we were able to venture where non-chemica-odorized men fear to tred and did the work. Was quite nice though hiking around in a large open meadow and forest for an hour.

Found out this morning that my cousin just gave birth to a healthy baby boy named Luke. I'm very excited for the new family as my cousin and her husband are both really good people, I essentially got aquainted with them over last thanksgiving, and I'm sure will make great parents. So I need to get a letter in the mail soon to congratulate them.

And now for a new addition to what's joe saying now. The new phrase of choice is "I'm sweatier than a whore in church." Heard it from someone today out in the savannahs, I like it. The hunter s thompson book continues to amuse, especially his advice to an aspiring writer to avoid time-consuming tasks like mowing the law, he suggests finding a wounded deer, nurse it back to health and tether it to a post in the middle of your lawn. Speaking of deer, I've seen 2 fawns in 2 days. They are quite adurable as they scamper away from humans half-scared to death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home