Friday, April 22, 2005

more fauna, maine connections

So the last few days, a few more prescribed burnings yada yada yada, I'm drunk so this entry may have a different feel. So recent fauna to report to those keeping track at home, I've seen two bull snakes. now the first I was about to walk into this ring of plots to do something as this 5 ft snake slithers out, most fascinating, I immediately looked to see if it has a rattle, it didn't so it can't be venomous right? Well I don't think it is, but today was really windy and I went to pick up a metalish box that had blown away, one wanders how it moved if it was as dense as I claim but no matter, and I get to it about to pick it up and all the sudden the ground moves and all that goes through my mind is snake. It was big, coily, and slithery, most entertaining in retrospect, though the adrenaline pumped rather well at the time. And what other piece of fauna did I see, one bald eagle is the answer, yes that classic piece of american iconography was finally seen by me as I was riding in the "burb" (I'll write a short piece on that later) to the fields. Didn't see it for long but it was sweet what with its soariness and such.
After work today went to a mandatory fire meeting which consisted of everyone who does real work around here, meeting at a bar and cutting loose. Was fun, learned a bit about the people I'm working with, the dirt on the no good bosses and such things as every new employee should be exposed to. The nachos were a little weak but the company and $3 32 ounce Leine's red were good.
So I promised Maine connections, well as it turns out the fire boss guy, Steve actually went to U of Maine to study environmental toxicology for a masters and plays a bit of ultimate. Which means he knows people such as my former boss, and others from up there. That's cool because they were cool and he seems cool so I'm somehow connected in a web of coolness which I hope transfers the cool onto me via the transitive property which is itself cool.
I could probably write more but I'll save you the inner ramblings of the drunk man except to say this. If you happened the catch the initial appearance of Cardinal Ratzinger -> benedict XVI on tv as he spoke to the crowd for the first time you may have caught amongst the flags of many nations (brazil, US, vatican, italian, etc) the TEXAS STATE FLAG. It was awesome, GOD I LOVE TEXAS, AND SHAME ON YOU WHO DON'T, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! anyway enough beligerence for me, I have to make potatos and kale, Mmmmmmm. Oh yes! one more thing. I was recently reading the book Stalking the wild asparagus, basically about finding and preparing wild food, and I realized I'm in the perfect position to pursue this random interest of mine. So be prepared for my escapades into trying wild food as I find it, or my lack there of (its sometimes hard to follow up on random interests). I figure I'm young, and if I find poisonous food and I eat it, well there's always after I get better. I'm kidding, I'll be dead, no seriously I plan to be careful especially as I t try to ferret out that furtive flavoral fungi, the morel mushroom, yes I've heard talk of its grandeur spread throughout these parts and I plan to find, show (to determine its lack of toxicity). and ingest much to my heart's content, or rather my stomach, I hope it doesn't stop my heart.
Note: I joked a lot about dying from food in the last paragraph (run-on sentence), and it really just isn't that much of a possibility, I hope no one takes my jests seriously, and lets all continue on as we were before.

2 Comments:

Blogger jsa said...

Hey Joe-

Nice blog thus far. Looking forward to keeping up with your activities.

Jayadev

4/23/2005  
Blogger tazo said...

had to comment on this too. I own stalking the wild asparagus! good book. not nearly as crazy as... well, i've got it somewhere. this guy who wrote about how one could gain immunity to poison ivy by eating small quantities of it. funny. he died, i think, of a massive allergic reaction. well, kind of funny. i'll see if i can find the title.

4/24/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home