Monday, June 20, 2005

Superior Success!

So the first bit of news which corresponds to the second word of the title for this post is that I have finally made good pizza. I baked up a batch from a recipe that Rose sent me that was lifted from the Bread Book, made it and after making the first one good but not quite crispy enough, the second was cooked very close to the form of an ideal pizza, at least for me. Was thin, crispy, with garlic, tomatoes but no sauce, farmer's cheese, gorgonzola cheese, parmesan cheese, olive oil, and italian seasoning toppings. My sole new year's resolution was to make good pizza dough by the end of the year on a consistent basis. I feel that I can now do that. So I'm quite happy. Thanks again Rose for the recipe. I'm very excited by this. Tomorrow, more pizza as its the solsitce and I'm making a "sun" pizza to celebrate.

The second bit of news which references more the first word in the title is that I went backpacking along the north shore of superior this weekend with robyn, caroline, and EB who are 3 of my coworkers here. We left directly after work friday and passed through duluth on our way to the superior hiking trail just north of that. Was very impressive, especially for midwest hiking. We hiked along split rock river, which looked very much like a serious river with rapids, sizable waterfalls, and cliffs of varying sizes on either side. There was also some hiking along a ridge with a delicious view of Lake Superior, and some actual hills that at times reminded me of the appalachian trail. Incidentally many of my thoughts returned to thinking of the AT and all the adventures that happened along it. Some of the notable things found, said, or otherwise experienced were
Columbine flower, quite picturesque, hangs upside down with a beautiful combination of yellow and pink.

piliated woodpecker, thought it was a raven at first, large bird, makes a loud booming sound in its hunt for bugs on dead trees, picture woody woodpecker.

Mud, lots of it. Never fell though which boggled my own expectations as I'm known to those who hike with me as a bit of a faller. Reminded me of vermud.

Split Rock, its a duolith. Incidentally duolith doesn't exist as a word but to me it really should be.

Lots of lil debbies star burst cookies as snacks along with copious although not secret recipe gorp. Thought of Kevin every time I ate a lil debbies.

What was either the worlds largest and scientifically undescribed hummingbird or possibly a kingfisher. I'm leaning towards hummingbird.

two intersecting flows of water that in their conjugation formed a diamond checker board pattern. Imagine a checkerboard turned 45 degrees to either side. Was a quite beautiful demonstration of constructive and destructive wave interference, or something of that nature.

An event during saturday's dinner where restarting up the MSR stove caused the flames to momentarily flap against the side of the MSR fuel canister. This prompted a short but lively discussion if we were in danger. I replied that it was unlikely because the canister was most likely fireproof. Robyn in her best alabama and not too far from evanglical voice said, "Well if it does blow its good-bye beans, and hello Jaisus."

Finally, trying to bearbag on friday was quite the adventure. Not quite as bad kevin as when I tried to throw the frisbee with the rope tied to it through the notch in the tree, but we spent a good 15 minutes doing the following. untangling rope, finding tree with limb 25 ft up, throwing rope up only 10-12 ft, trying again at caroline's insistence despite my protestations that it was impossible, repeat above steps 2 more times. Finally I just climbed a pine and hung the bags. Which of course did nothing as regards to bears since they're more able climbers than myself, but I feel that it should at least be attempted, one of those its the principal that counts things.

My little brother sean just got his cast-off but made an interesting discovery when it was on, he discovered that since he couldn't run, if he just jogged the mile run at sports camp rather than start off sprinting he could finish ahead of a lot of the other kids because they got tired earlier. This fascinated him apparently. My brother Andy went sky-diving for his 20th birthday and discovered that if you fall from a plane its a lot of fun. I worry about that one a little. Just Kidding of course, anyway got to go and do stuff but hopefully loyal readers aren't too disappointed with this entry. I feel like I'm doing more interesting things but not writing about them as well. Maybe I should just start a policy of posting more when drunk.

an interesting sidenote. Was at oed.com today checking out words, yes I do that, and came across an appeal for written proof of the word mullet pre-1994. They were also asking for other words but that I thought was the funniest and most topical.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentally, it's spelled "evangelical."

Sorry 'bout the grammar nazi thing, but sometimes I can't help it.

-rb

6/22/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) What's the pizza dough recipe?

2) What'd you do for your birthday on Sunday? Did you get anything in the mail? Say hi to the fam for me if you get a chance.

3) Why were you using an MSR? Aluminum can alcohol stove would be lighter (but definitely not fire proof) ...

4) If you enjoyed your delicious view of Superior, I highly recommend finding some way to go to Isle Royale ... See any moose on your hike?

6/28/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home