Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Cedar Creek

So, Greyhound from Milwaukee to Minneapolis went ok, no crazies, boring,and an hour late all in all not too bad. On the way to Cedar Creek stopped at a grocery store to buy food. A few quick points,
-I have no car
-The nearest grocery store is far enough away that its a daunting task to get there by any non-motorized means
-The next intern won't be arriving for 3-4 weeks, hopefully by car
-I need to supply myself with a lot of food to last that long, and the kitchen as far as food goes is bare, just some cookware, no spices, no salt, not a thing.
Long story short I dropped $190 dollars, and while I embellish the difficulties slightly, I will probably be able to use a truck here to go buy food if I need to, part of me wanted to see if I could make it though. If you care I wound up with not enough meat (it was not a cheap store) , a lot of staples (4 lbs pasta, 8 lbs potatoes, 5 lbs rice, 5 lbs carrots), no soy sauce, no black pepper, and the store had no shaving cream, lots of veggies (a good part frozen), a lot of cheese, a lot of fruit (nanners, apples, oranges, grapes to be frozen) the essential baking ingredients, and a few other things. I think I could make it if I have to, but living without soy or stir fry sauce is uncivilized in my opinion. But enough about food, except to say this. The kitchen I'm in has 3 long tables 2 stoves and 4 refrigerators, I have replaced the HP apartment problem of not enough space, with the new not enough food to use it dilemma, Oh Dinner Club, how I long for thee.

When I got to cedar creek and plugged in my clock/radio I discovered an 80s channel in 2 stations so things were looking up. Woke up this morning at 6 am to billie jean is not my lover. Then I went and burned stuff. But first I had to work a flapper which is a rubber pad on a long stick that puts out small fires, we also had 3 jerry-rigged pickup fire trucks which were doing most(all) of the work in containing the fire. We burned maybe 20 acres with a drip torch, basically mix of diesel and gas (turns out that it burns rather well). And may I add that dried grass, say 1 meter square and 2 feet high can generate a lot of heat very quickly. Tomorrow we'll burn something like 200 acres of savannah, I'm a little excited to see that.

Went for a run after work, took a shit in the woods in the middle of it because I had to and was left with last year's leaf litter to wipe my ass, it took my mind back to a very memorable sprint down a rather prominent mountain once upon a time. All in all, good run, saw 2 deer, 4 cranes?/herons?, found one turkey feather, and the shower at the end was most enjoyable.

General thoughts, Every one here seems friendly, and I really like the feel of the place, although maybe not a fair assessment as the weather seriously could not have been better today, which is good because I'm somewhat isolated, at least for the moment, but I think I'll be able to fill my time with some pretty cool stuff. I think I'll let people know about this blog in a week or so if I think its interesting as opposed to painful. I think in the future that I'll try to be a bit more concise, which will help. In any event good night gentle reader (at this point me, I guess) and hopefully thy slumber will be broken only by the melodious strains of "Don't Stop Believing"

man I am still king of the run-on sentence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home