Thursday, August 04, 2005

Books, discs, and an oddly placed can of beer

So admittedly it's been a very long time since I posted. Numerous things have happened, not all good, but surely not all bad. Rather than rack my brain for week old memories I'll try to focus on more recent activities and goings-on.

I'm reading Eats, shoots & leaves at the moment which is a book about punctuation. I first heard of it from Alison who was one of my many patient paper editors in college, and picked it up at a demi-used book shop in uptown, Minneapolis. So while I may now butcher my sentences as badly as before, at least now it is more ironic that I am doing so. Another book I picked up at the store was Our Gang which is a satirical work by Phillip Roth about the Nixon administration, or the Tricky admin. as it is called in the book, and tries to make light of all the subtle contradictory stances taken by tricky to be politically expedient rather than morally congruent. This includes him thinking about the political ramifications about giving the right-to-vote to the unborn, but then debating whether or not to arrest than shoot or just shoot the boy scouts who are protesting him, because they think he promotes sex by his defense of the unborns' rights and is a sensualist. I also picked up The Best Recipe and Democracy in America to help both my cooking and my historical sense of whom I am cooking for.

Went and played disc golf at a real course with real golfing discs today for the second time in my life. Did ok, on a 12 hole course the first round I was 10 over par with two pars and the second I was 2 over par with 3 birdies and 4 pars. I believe that my play steadily improved as I learned how to compensate for the under-stability of the discs and drive them straight and the fact that the second round I was quite drunk-at a new personal best of 2 beers-and grunted a lot more when driving the disc. On the way back I purchased two whole chickens.

One of these chickens is currently being grilled in a unique, to this writer at least, manner. We rubbed oil, adrien's seasoning mix and Dijon mustard around it, under the skin and in the cavity and then put a half-full beer can up its arse and set it on the grill. This is called a "beer-can chicken" and supposedly is quite good. For those who worry that we are using good beer you can be rest assured that its only gloeck's. A brand that costs two dollars less per 24 pack than the next cheapest case. For all that though it isn't that bad.

1 Comments:

Blogger jsa said...

From what I remember of Saturday evening at Aquatennial, Gloeck's is quite delicious, so long as it isn't your first beer of the day.

8/07/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home