Sunday, July 10, 2005

Time to cowboy up and head up to the ol rodeo

So the week since mars has been interesting.I only got about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and the unsurprising result was that I felt tired all the time during the day. This culminated in my going to bed at 830 on friday. I slept 3 hours woke up, decided to look around and see if anyone was doing anything, drinking or otherwise, but instead didn't see anyone around anywhere and saw a car wrapped in saran wrap and another in toilet paper in the parking lot. Later I would learn these were the result of someone's first power hour. I went to bed an hour later and now I think I'm finally caught up on sleep.

Saw What's Up Tiger Lily on saturday morning, which is a woody allen film. He bought the rights to a particularly godawful japanese spy-thriller movie and dubbed in his own english dialogue. Its rather comical. Last night I also went to the 29th annual isanti rodeo which was a fun time. Although I must sadly report that the wireless microphone has killed the rodeo clown. They kept telling really lame jokes and drawn out skits that really added very little and sometimes distracted and detracted from the more exciting events that were occurring in close proximity to them. Saw bareback and saddle buck riding, steer wrestling and tying, team roping, barrel-riding (for the cowgirls) and the piece de resistance bull riding. The others were interesting, though I enjoyed the riding more than the roping and such, but the bull riding is really quite amazing. Only 3-4 riders managed to stay on the full 8 seconds, and even though I was a little bit removed from the action, the sight of a bull bucking is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen an animal do.. They have enormous amounts of mass and athleticism. Two riders got hurt while riding, On one of them the bull sort of half-rolled over him and it looked like he got stepped on as well, as they helped him off it looked like he had a broken arm or some ribs, was quite scary when it happened, especially as there was one moment right after when the rider was thrown where you could tell the situation was out of hand as the bull was bucking madly near the rider and everyone in the ring was going after the bull to get it away from him. everyone consisted of two cowboys on horseback trying to lasso the bull, and two real (unmiked) rodeo clowns trying to get in front of the bull and distract it from the rider, one of those clowns, incidentally the one in the long denim skirt, was pretty bad ass as I think at one point, in a different rider's attempt, he sort of jumped into the bull's side or sort of half on the bull, to get it away from a fallen rider, I don't remember exactly how it happened as it was pretty fast, but that was my general impression. The rider's incidentally had knee pads on beneath their chaps, all were wearing flak vests, and the ones who weren't criminally insane had on helmets, though criminally insane in this case is relative because I don't think an entirely rational person climbs onto a bull in the first place, much less after its been irritated.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those bulls are really scary - you definitely gotta be a little off your rocker to get on one that has been bred for size, power, quickness, and anger.

So, are you officially not going to Sandblast? Well, in case you are, we can meet up ... I'm going with a group from A2.

Thanks for the letter - expect to hear from me if you don't see me in Chi-town.

Kevin

7/12/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home