Monday, June 12, 2006

Poultry Days and Nights

So Thursday afternoon I went from work to home, catching an episode of Battlestar Galactica to get my fix before the weekend and then I was off to the southside. I began my travels and travails by stopping into Steve Wang’s I’m done with 22 years of school party and gave him my compliments on finishing his Ph. D. He seemed rather happy.

Afterwards I made my way to the pepperland where I joined in the watching of most of “The Devil’s Rejects” which was not so bad as one would think it to be, as it was written and directed by Rob Zombie I believe. A bit gory and violent though for my tastes.

The morning of our trek to PD began well enough. After numerous short delays, all necessary, especially the oil change, our humble party of four, whom I dubbed the amazateers began our excursion to the poultry filled town of Versailles, Ohio. The trip was relatively uneventful, and the highlight was Jason attempting to expand our horizons on the depths and lengths to which impromptu fictional narrative could be taken.

Upon our arrival to the fields I was delighted to see Tazo, Ian, and Jeff followed very shortly by Trudy and High School. Never ones to dilly dally we hastened to erect our tents and when Whit and Russell arrived, we made our way to the fair to get our first savory slices of their world famous chicken. It was delicious. Upon our return we commenced Schtick playing and my team did fairly well, though we were admittedly more experienced. My favorite personal maneuver was when I crept along the edge of the pond behind our opponents, and waited for them to forget about me ( which given our current state was about 1 min) I then emerged from behind a tent and laid the disc in the goal. A bit cheap, but oh well.

Saturday morning started off with a thud as the weather was rainy, a bit cool, and a hair windy. So our first two games were a little trying at times. We played fairly well, but our lack of cuts held us back, but we managed to win one game. It was a much better experience for me in terms of playing, than mars last year. I’m not in a whole lot better shape now, but at least I’ve played a fair amount of ultimate recently, which enabled me to play fairly steady offense after the weather improved and satisfactory defense. One of our woman, Jen Shannon, made two amazing layout catches on offense. Probably the most startling athletic plays I’ve ever seen by a woman. I believe that she caught both on on the edge of her fingers after some crazy contortions. Sunday we found ourselves in the C bracket and won our first after being down 6-5 and lost our second after being up 6-5. Not a bad weekend, could have done better probably, but I loved the sideline banter and motivational speeches supplied by my teammates. It was fantastic to play with such good women, we often played three of the four guys back as handlers and just had the women get open and score upfield.

Pretty good weekend, I’m really looking forward to Mars and its own brand of hijinks. I’m going to try and do a few sprint workouts between now and then, so I’ll probably be amazing. I’m looking forward to my soon to be amazingness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home